2.14.2013

Valentine.

Noun:  A person to whom one sends such a card or whom one asks to be one’s sweetheart.

I can’t help but feel bad for Valentine’s Day. Can anyone relate to feeling sorry for a holiday? It is perhaps the only holiday which has so much hatred towards it. I do not doubt that most of the loathing comes from fellow singles. Cry me a river. Believe me or not, but I am actually not repulsed by Valentine’s Day, however if you ever have overheard me comment that I hate it, it is only because I am jealous of all the lovey dovey couples rejoicing the holiday. I admit it.
In reality, I have only truly celebrated Valentine’s Day twice, both occasions with my ex boyfriend (many years ago). Our first Valentine’s Day together was a little disastrous. Knowing that I had never had a Valentine’s date and considering we were still in the honeymoon stage of our relationship, he had made reservations at a fancy restaurant. That Valentine’s Day there was a massive snowstorm. He insisted we still go (or was that me?!), even though the roads were treacherous. I think we were something like two hours late, and the cherry on top was our car getting extremely stuck in the snow after dinner. Maybe it was an omen of our relationship to come...
Our second Valentine’s Day together we agreed to not celebrate. He showed up at my house with one of those giant Valentine teddy bears. At the time I was overjoyed. In reality, what in the world do you do with such a big bear holding a heart?
But isn’t that the point of Valentine’s Day? To buy your beloved various overpriced articles to show how much you love them? And isn’t this is the precise reason why people insist on hating on this particular day? It’s nothing but a Hallmark holiday. You hear it all the time. Yet, I can’t help but argue:  haven’t all holiday’s become this? Christmas, Easter even St. Patrick’s Day. I have yet to encounter anyone who refuses to accept a Christmas gift, eat Easter chocolate or drink green beer.  Society does not celebrate holidays for what they once were.
The foundation of Valentine’s Day is based upon a Roman priest from the 14th century (don’t mark my words on the date, I’m not sure I ever passed history), who was caught secretly marrying Christian couples, I don’t comprehend why it was illegal (OK truth, I don’t feel like researching the reason why, if you know please enlighten me) but it obviously was a incredibly awful thing at the time because he was imprisoned, tortured and eventually killed. According to the grapevine he signed his last note to his love, “from your Valentine”.  So Valentine has come to be known as the patron saint of lovers. He was killed on February 14th, and thus the birth of Valentine’s Day.  

Maybe it is because I am a romantic, but to me it’s not about buying the most expensive gifts, or going to the most expensive restaurants (and if you’re with someone who expects that, then maybe this should be your last Valentine’s Day spent together); today is simply about telling your loved one that you love them. So why not write your girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife, and for those who are single, the one you desire, a meaningful love note and sign it “From your Valentine”.
Now, if only I could take my own advice..
Merde.





No comments:

Post a Comment