2.17.2013

Romance.


Verb: Court; woo: “the wealthy owner romanced her”.

What happened to good old fashioned romance? I’m talking about Edward Lewis climbing Vivianne’s fire escape, to prove to her that he is her knight in shining armor, delivering her roses, all the while concurring his fear of heights (Pretty Woman). I’m talking about Heath Ledger serenading Julia Stiles with the song “Can’t Take My Eyes of You” on the school bleachers despite the fact that that he is being chased by school security (10 Thing I hate About You). I’m talking about when Harry finally declares his love for Sally admitting all the things he loves about her, even after their very long history together (When Harry Met Sally).



OK I admit all these scenarios are fictional, but why does it have to be unrealistic? Romance doesn’t require much effort. After all, it’s the little things that mean the most. I believe we have lost our inspiration. We are surrounded by a world of social media where it is much easier to simply tweet your feelings than to admit them out loud. Why call when you can text. Imagine the days when the guy would actually ring your doorbell and ask your parents’ permission to take you out...
Maybe I extended too far back in time with that example. Am I just too old fashioned? Am I the only rarity who would prefer a hand written note in a classic book over a piece of jewelry? They say that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, yet I want more. I want one rose left on my doorstep instead of twelve delivered to my office. I want the spontaneous 'have a beautiful day' post-it left on my car window rather than the everyday good morning text. I want a picnic dinner on the living room floor instead of the eight o’ clock reservations at the expensive restaurant. 

Am I asking for too much? Am I really living in a world of fairytale?
Is this yet another reason to add to the list of why I am single?
Merde.




No comments:

Post a Comment