1.26.2013

GIRLS.

TV series: Girls is an American television series that began airing on HBO on April 15, 2012. Created by and starring Lena Dunham, Girls is a comedy-drama that follows a close group of twenty-somethings as they chart their lives in New York City.



At last I’ve jumped on the Girls bandwagon. I know I’m a full season late, but you’ll forgive me after I say that I spent my entire Saturday devoted to catching up. I’m not sure if I should be bragging about how I did nothing but lounge on my couch all day in front of my computer screen watching thirty minute intervals, but that is beside the point.
The point is season one, episode seven “Welcome to Bushwick”.  Of course I can say (like every other twenty something female) that I find it effortless to relate to this HBO series, as I think that was the point in making the show. This particular episode had me back tracking to all my past relations with the opposite sex and realizing that I rarely ever ask about them or their life. Weird, I know.  I know I’m flawed and I have issues with commitment etc etc etc, but I never realized that my lack of acknowledgment in personal questions could potentially hurt their feelings and/or make it seem as though I don’t care. Unlike Hannah, I don’t necessarily prefer the conversation to be about me, rather I choose to discuss topics which are neither delicate to me or the other person. It’s a defense mechanism I assume. Yet, after Adam’s rant:

“You never ask me anything, besides ‘does this feel okay?’ or ‘do you like my skirt?’ or ‘how much is your rent?’ I’m not gonna fuckin’ talk your ear off about shit you don't ask about. You don’t wanna know me. You want to come over in the night and have me fuck the dog shit out of you, then you wanna leave then write about it in your diary. You don’t wanna know me.

I can’t help but question, could I be the common denominator in all my failed romances?
To all the men I’ve loved before, I sincerely apologize if you ever thought I didn’t want to know you, I have a funny way of showing (or not showing) things.
Merde.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment